Today’s Town of Orange was known as the Town of Orange Court House from the early days of the settlement until the late 19th century. In 1799, an 18th-century farm that included much of the modern-day town was purchased by Paul Verdier, who divided the land into lots which quickly were purchased. New roadways, along with expanding agricultural markets, stimulated growth and transformed Orange Court House into a bustling regional center.
In 1834, Virginia’s General Assembly passed an act allowing for the incorporation of the Town of Orange Court House, but the act did not have implementing legislation. Orange Court House officially became a town in 1872 when the petition for an election of town trustees was filed in the court. The first town council meeting was held on June 28, 1872. In 1890, the name officially changed to the Town of Orange. This lovely, bucolic town will celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2022!
President James Madison and his wife Dolley, President Zachary Taylor, famed Southern Chef Edna Lewis and Tuskegee Airman Captain Andrew Maples are just a few of history's heroes to call Orange home. But there are others with a deep historical connection to our town! Click the link below to learn more!